Treat yourself to the tart and tangy citrus flavors in this orange pomegranate smoothie. With a touch of warming cinnamon and beans, this smoothie is packed with antioxidants, fiber and protein.
I have a confession to make: recipes with pomegranate are relatively new to me. I’ve eaten pomegranate on salads, and have had it in drinks (pomegranate martinis = YUM!), but the fruit itself was always intimidating to me. I mean, have you ever tried to open a pomegranate and get the arils out? I used to end up looking like a bloody mess.
After I did some google searches and learned how to get into a pomegranate and even make my own pomegranate juice, I’ve become slightly obsessed with them. It’s surprisingly easy once you know how. Instead of making pomegranate juice, you can just add the whole arils to your blender. This will give you even more fiber in your smoothie.
You’ll be seeing many pomegranate smoothie recipes in the future.
I added white beans to this smoothie to thicken it up. You can use different colored beans or just skip this step if you want. I like adding beans to smoothies because they make an excellent thickener and they add a bunch of protein and fiber to the smoothie. Both fiber and protein are great helpers and losing and maintaining weight.
If you enjoy this smoothie, please share it with your friends.
Orange Pomegranate Smoothie
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice (make your own – 1 pomegranate yields about 3/4 cup of juice.)
- 1 small orange, peeled and de-seeded
- 1/4 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup white beans cooked, fresh or frozen. Any other color bean will work. (optional)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder or extract (optional, skip this if you are using vanilla protein powder)
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder (optional, the one I use can be found here)
- Add water to reach desired consistency. There’s a good chance you won’t need water at all.
- 4 to 5 ice cubes
For extra fiber add 1 tbsp chia seeds
Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy!
Want to know what I use to create these delicious smoothies? Visit my Resources page to learn more.
Save 10% on protein powder by using this link.
You might also like:
Like this? Please share it with your friends!